Sunday, March 22, 2009

Pebble Wrestling

Saturday, March 21st, I led a bouldering trip down to Rocktown, GA.  It was a long day trip, requiring us to meet at 7am and return about 10pm.  Everyone had a lot of fun though!  We had a real solid group, including some from the Grand Canyon.

I have only bouldered a few times and lack a good bit of strength and technique required.  That said, this trip was great for pushing myself.  I climbed on some small cliffs, worked on traversing, did a slabby boulder requiring precise footwork, and worked my hand jams on a crack.  I had a good time and definitely got pumped.  My core and forearms are sore today from it.  

In addition to bouldering, I brought along a trad rack to practice placing pro.  I have led two pitches of trad in Linville Gorge, including building an anchor.  I really enjoy climbing cracks and want to develop my trad skills, so I had my boss evaluate my placements after I build some anchors and placed some pieces on the walls at Rocktown.  It was very helpful for me.

After sufficient bouldering time, some guys and I went on a run down the trails and gravel roads of Lookout Mtn.  It was pretty hilly and we were moving pretty well.  At one point, one of them, decided he was feeling good and would play the rabbit.  We ended up running sub-7 for several miles because of it.  I was whooped.  My quads and IT bands were hurting, and I was not hydrated, so it was a tough run.  We got a good 6mi in or so.

The only downside of the trip was that I had to miss my gal's sorority formal.  Fortunately, she had a good time with a friend and others.  


No comments: