Friday, May 29, 2009

Outward Bound Intern Update 1 - Where's Waldo?

We eleven interns, ranging from 21 yr old college students to a 40 yr old and everything in between, successfully completed out 12-day training yesterday. The training consisted of a lot of history and philosophy of OB, creating a positive group culture, teaching, support and logistics aspects and tech skills. As an intern, I will where two hats: (1) Support Intern - doing supply and logistics operations for courses in the field, (2) Field Intern - acting as an assistant instructor in the field. We were barraged with info concerning logistics and supply. We will know the warehouse inside and out by the end of the summer.

Some highlights of the field section - 5 days:
  • Building climbing anchors off of trees and gear
  • Learning about fixed lines in the alpine
  • Crafting a group tarp into a waterproof shelter
  • Eating an abnormal amount of field food
  • Seeing the mountains and desert of CO
  • Bonding with my coworkers
We were given our course schedules on the last day of training. I am stoked about mine. First, I will be supporting a 30-day course in the San Juan Mountains in Southern CO. It is one of the most intense trips and support responsibilities. It will involve me spending most of the trip in Silverton, preparing resupply for the trip and awaiting any necessary evacuations. Hopefully, I will get the chance to spend some time in the field with the course. The area is supposed to be beautiful. Then I will have 5days before starting a field section with mostly 30+ yr old adults. The course is 14 days long and will involved some climbing and backpacking. After another 5 days or so, I head out again with a crew of 14 and 15 yr olds for two weeks. It should be a pretty awesome summer! Tiring and intense, but awesome.

Leadville is a neat area, nestled in a valley between the Mosquitos range to the east and Mounts Elbert and Massive to the west. There is outdoor rec to be had in any direction. Today, for instance, I ran 15 miles around a lake and then did some sport climbing - not a bad day. I am probably going to run another long run on Sunday. Before the field training, my running was pretty good. I managed about 30miles in the week before. However, if I want to do the 50miler in late July, I need to step it up. A friend is pacing the 100, so she and I will probably check out some of the 100 course and do some night running. Besides running, I want to improve my trad leading. Today's climbing exhibition was lack luster. I failed on a 5.9-ish lead and was pumped out. I do not like steep face. I like long, low angle, multipitch, easy stuff. Sorry, that is the sort of climber I am. I don't dream of climbing 5.12s. I just want to go have fun.

In other news, my lady-friend has hit the road to Idaho. That means we will both be living adventurous lives in the mountains for the next couple months. Unfortunately, it means that we most likely not see each other until September - a real bummer. Maybe....something can work out. We'll cross our fingers. We are going to read a book together, John Piper's "Don't Waste Your Life," and I am excited about that. It's nice having someone to care about and to share life with.

No comments: