Monday, August 24, 2009

That's It...

Summer is officially over for me. I drove the last half from Leadville to Nashville today, moved into my apartment and almost immediately felt a sense of stress come over me upon arrival. This is a different environment than my summer one, for sure. Much of the stress can be attributed to two things: (1) Social stress - SO many people. That's not my style. I'm ISTJ. (2) Anxiety over another year of strenuous chemical engineering work, while all I want to do is be in the outdoors and teaching. Boy oh boy.

Summer Recap
I can honestly say that this has been the best summer of my life. It was incredible for several reasons.
- The fulfillment of facilitating growth for students anywhere from 14 to 54
- Personal growth: discovering a passion for teaching and connecting with people from a myriad of different backgrounds
- Having some baller adventures!!

I am very excited for what God has in store for me in this next year. I can imagine some scenarios of my life next summer and fall (hangin in some awesome town like Durango or Chattanooga both teaching and guiding/outdoor ed), but who knows what cards I'll be dealt. The coolest part is that doesn't bother me! I am excited about the surprise and adventure of life!

Groovin' Slowly w/ My Woman (i.e. My visit to Idaho)
Ha! That is one of my favorite John Butler Trio songs, though it has no direct connection to this section. Having the privilege of visiting the lady-friend after a full 3 months separation was phenomenally refreshing. We now only have one more month before she moves back from the wild west.

Our visit consisted of an overnight trip, some less-than-ideal climbing, visiting her favorite local spots and more. My highlights include: sleeping under the stars with her, getting sketched out on our multi-pitch climb attempt and feeling her support, and sharing our passions and dreams for life together. I eagerly await her return to Tennessee!

No comments: