Sunday, October 4, 2009

What have I gotten myself into?

I started asking myself that question as the girlfriend, two friends, and I drove from Nashville to Chattanooga. We were headed for the Rock/Creek Stump Jump 50k. All four of them were 50k first-timers and I was a Stump Jump first-timer.

I signed up for the race back in August. The gf had been itching to do a 50k ever since supporting me in my first back in January. Despite not running much this summer, I figured August and September gave me adequate time to get in some mileage. Alas, the motivation never came. Since running an improv marathon on the 4WD roads of the San Juans back in June, I have run two 12-milers and 2-3 shorter runs. That is it.

I joked on the car ride down, saying, "Running 50ks is like riding bikes, right? Muscle memory". While that sounds ridiculous, it is not much of an exaggeration of my thinking up to the race. After all, I've run a 50k and 3 marathons. Therefore, I will be mentally prepared. Finishing is not a question. I'll just be out there longer. We finished, yes! It was the most physically difficult things I've ever done, though.

Here is a short synopsis of the event:

--The crew and I arrived in Chatty around 6:45pm. Dinner started at 6pm, so we scrounged all the left-overs we could manage and chatted with a friend who was also to run. Then, we all headed down to hear "Ultramarathon Man," Dean Karnazes speak. I'm sorry to say that I was not too motivated by him, and we all left early. Are his accomplishments incredible? Yes. Was I inspired the first time I heard them? Yes. It's just that a room full of long-distance athletes already know about long-distance running, so I guess we're a tougher audience than average Americans.

--The gf and I were going to camp Friday night. The plan was to go to a state forest campsite near the race start. We weren't sure how to get to that campsite though, so we pitched out tent next to the starting area parking lot. Besides the post-football game high schoolers peeling out and the early morning setup crew, it wasn't that bad of a location. At least, we were only yards from the start area.

--The crew all started together. Slowly we managed to break up as one bolted ahead not long into the race, another dropped back midway and a third left me and the gf towards the end. It was nice to have the company. During the middle of the race, I followed a group at an intersection, which turned out to mislead us on a bonus excursion. No problem - add another k to the distance. Also midway through, I got popped with shot of fire in my thigh, when a yellow jacket caught me. Good thing I took my pre-race Epipen shot to get the heart going! ;)

--I knew I had made a tough decision less than halfway through the race. I was already feeling more tired than I should. In fact, most of the race, I felt like the gf was pacing me along. She was possibly even less prepared than I, running a max run of 8 miles in the last 6 months! Those last 10 miles were a slog for sure. I wanted to walk so bad, but walking hurt more! Running was sometimes just as slow as walking and gave me a stiffening sensation in my chest. OH! Why hadn't I trained? No amount of Nuun, Heed, soda, chocolate, pretzels, or gels could make me feel good through those miles. I resorted to straight water, so I could pour it on my face and body.

--Finally, after a very long 7hrs, she and I came down the paved parking lot across the finish line. All I wanted to do was lie down. Someone please give me an ice bath!! I am pretty sure I could have slept mid-race and definitely immediate post-race. The pain and discomfort is subsiding slowly. I still feel like a decrepit old man one day later. Unlike past races, this one caused my joints, tendons, and ligaments to hurt more than my muscles. I didn't have any cramping problems, but my IT band has gone from rubber band to steel cord.

All in all, I'm glad I went through with the race. I am privileged to be able to enjoy the outdoors in this way. The weather was gorgeous, revealing picturesque views of the Tennessee River Gorge. Best of all, I was able to support my friend through her first 50k, much like the way she supported me through mine.

Thanks to R/C and the volunteers for another quality day and to Vandy ORC for some trail maintenance.

No comments: