Sunday, January 24, 2010

Subjective Success

The Gym

Recently my relationship with climbing progressed to a new level. I made the big commitment to buying a gym membership. "Wow," you may say, "getting serious." I had resisted for a long time, but the time has come for me to focus on getting better. Up to this point, my development has been slow and steady. I can presently lead most 5.9 sport climbs and 5.8 trad climbs. I'm very comfortable with climbing systems. Now it's time to get strong!

Anyway, a friend and I were nearing the end of our session after working up the ratings. I worked up from 5.8 to the 5.10s and was getting on a 5.10c (which shut me down with its useless foot jibs). For the first time in my climbing career, I simply wanted the number. I got on that climb only because it was 5.10c. It was the next rung of the ladder. Maybe the gym is just meant to be used in that impersonal way - just a tool to get new bragging rights. Then again, maybe that lack of passion was why I didn't climb the route.

I plan on climbing inside a lot this semester (just as a means to improve my fitness of course - not actually to enjoy the beautiful act of climbing which is confined to the limitless canvas of the outdoors). Maybe I'll do speed workouts or efficiency (fewest moves) workouts. Maybe I'll lift some weights and get my yoga stretch on. We'll see. Regardless, this is a new phase in my climbing life.

The Outdoors

"Today might have to be about subjective success . . ." That was my comment to my girlfriend as we walked the Foster Falls climbing trail. The creekside cliff line is known for its steep sandstone and offers little warm up.

She and I got into the campsite after dark the night before. I lost my headlamp, so she was leading the way. I thoroughly enjoy walking by moonlight, actually. This summer, I would often not use my headlamp around camp during an Outward Bound course (the artificial light ruins my night vision anyway - AND my x-ray vision for that matter). We were lucky to have the campsite to ourselves.

Dinner consisted of fresh white flatbread, tomato sauce with herbs de provence, cheese, pineapple, and ham - otherwise known as Hawaiian pizza. This being our second pita-pizza-cooking session, we have mastered the technique and thoroughly enjoyed the meal aside chips, salsa, and guac. MMmmm!

We eventually turned in for the night. "Is that people?" As a matter of fact, yes - ten boys with and some parents actually. It was okay though. They weren't too rowdy and only collected half the forest worth of sticks for a bonfire. Regardless, we slept great.

In a nut shell, the weather was not ideal for climbing. All day the temps were around 50 and the rock sometimes wet and the wind blowing. At least the climbing was hard though! :) We 'warmed up' on Jacobs Ladder, 5.8. Next we walked to the dihedrals which were soaked and then back to Jimmywood. There are a couple 5.9s there, so I figured I lead one or two. Maybe she could try them as well. "Dang man! Take up rope!" Miss Prissy shut me down. I hung at both of the cruxy sections in route to one of my longest routes (time wise!) since I started leading. At least my fingers were peeling and freezing though . . .

You might say it was a tough day on the rock, but I'd say it was another fun adventure as a couple. We had fun camping and eating! We got some beautiful hiking! We both were challenged! We walked down to the raging falls and enjoyed a nice lunch before driving back to Nashville. I had fun!

No comments: