Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Open Doors

Today, after waiting for just over two weeks, I received the good news from Nashville Teaching Fellows. I was accepted to the program to teach secondary math in Metro Nashville schools. Now all I have to do is pass the Praxis and get a job. Woo hoo! I will also hear from Knowles Science Teaching Fellowship on April 1st, which would partner with me for 5yrs while I obtain a masters and start teaching secondary science.

It's crazy to think about how this all started over a year ago. The week before spring break I realized I was not excited about a potential engineering consulting internship. Over the next few days I found Outward Bound, Student Conservation Association, and a camp in CA. Spending the next week in the Grand Canyon solidified my feelings and within two weeks I had landed a summer internship with OB.

That was one of the best decisions I have ever made. It has been a long, arduous road going through engineering while not enjoying it. I am so incredibly relieved to have these opportunities now to follow my heart. The key was that I refused to settle with the expectations of others or with the past. Rather I chose to be proactive, pursue my passions whole heartedly and to turn over my fears to God. He has blessed me abundantly. Throughout this last year, one bible passage has brought me much comfort and peace. That is Psalm 23.

The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His namesake.

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for you are with me. Your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a feast before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil. My cup runs over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

No comments: