Thursday, November 27, 2014

Choosing and Evaluating a Goal

First, I should say that from the outset I knew trying to qualify for Boston is a "reach" goal. I've run 5+ marathon distance runs since 2008, but only 2 were races that I prepared for seriously and actually raced, and the fastest was 3:35 (my 1st). How did I think that I could drop 30mins of my PR? First, I know it will be easier mentally this time. The distance and suffering won't be a problem given I've "been there, done that." Second, I ran all of those on low mileage - max 4days/wk, 40miles/wk. I've already gone over 40mi in week two of this cycle, which leads me to my third point. I'm more dedicated, that is, more willing and more able to put in the work for this serious goal. Finally, I think 30mins is reasonable because: (1) DC is pretty flat, while the Flying Monkey (my first) is incredibly hilly, (2) I'm much more used to running after doing it for 6 years, even if inconsistently. Knowing all that, I thought I could achieve a BQ with hard work!

I've briefly discussed how my training this year looks different from in 2008, because I am trying to run a certain time this year rather than simply finishing. In my case, trying to qualify for Boston, that time is already set - 3:05. The more challenging part was evaluating if that time is reasonable. My training runs (track workouts, tempo runs, general paces) are all largely defined by my marathon pace, so making sure that I can hit those training targets is essential for preparing me for the marathon race (assuming that race equivalency charts and calculators are reasonably accurate). So how did I evaluate?

Having the qualifying time set, I first wanted to know how well prepared I was for the challenge. To answer that question I looked to equivalency charts and ran a time trial. While equivalency is more accurate for closer distances (e.g. predicting a 10k based on a 5k or marathon from half), I chose to do a 2mile TT. We have an accurate 2mi course, and I felt comfortable going hard at that distance rather than a more substantial one with more endurance prerequisite. After all, I expect to slowly build endurance over the next few months but don't expect to gain a ton of speed after the initial track work weeks. With that logic, I reasoned that the 2mi course could simply tell me whether I was fast enough right now to have a chance (i.e. do I have the potential). Fortunately, I hit the 2mi time (equivalent to a 3:05 marathon) to the second! That provided the confidence I needed going into marathon training.

I've now done 2 track workouts of the Hansons plan, and I've hit all the time marks spot on. In fact, I'm not feeling particularly tired even. Today I ran a 5mi race (never raced that distance). Wanting to treat it as another benchmark, I consulted the equivalency chart (again for a 3:05 marathon). In the end, I was able to run under the equivalent time. I consider those good signs that I've chosen a reasonable time and may even be able to surpass my BQ time if all things fall into place right. At the very least, I might have some cushion if things don't go well.

No comments: