Thursday, December 18, 2008

Finals Finale

What a week!  This was the hardest finals week I have had in my five semesters at Vanderbilt.  All five of my classes had exams.  Fortunately, the exams were spaced well, but I was still study non-stop for most of it.  I haven't been in that stressed out 'get er done' mode since last fall in the midst of eighteen hours.  All of this meant that my running has been sporadic.  This is the fourth week since the marathon.  My mileage has been 0, 26, 15, currently 22.  I've been feeling progressively better since the marathon, which only makes me want to run more.  One achilles has been bothering me some in the last couple weeks.  

Most of my runs have been general aerobic 6-8mi runs with friends about 8:00/mi pace.  They have been good for keeping me in shape and helping me run faster.  I have also fit in some short runs before exams, even one ten minute jog.  

Today I enjoyed a very nice, and tough, twelve miler on the trails of Percy Warner.  The "Red, White, & Blue" was a soggy, muddy, leaf covered track this morning making footing vital.  My Brooks Cascadias handle the mud pretty well with their aggressive lugs.  Those logs tend to be rather slippery and hard when wet though, so I was extra cautious.  These will carry me through Mountain Mist, trail very similar to that of Monte Sano, so it's good to get some good running in on similar trail and similar winter conditions.  

I plan on getting some 5-8mi in tomorrow and then heading home to FL for a couple weeks for winter break.  There, I'll have to make do with the sandy and flat trails of Withlacoochee Forest.  I plan on getting several back to back 10-15mi runs in out there.  

Ah.  It is winter break.  Five semesters down, three to go.  Here's to you Vandy!

No comments: