Monday, February 16, 2009

Tough (and Awesome) Weekend

Saturday was Grand Canyon prehike day.  About eight of us headed out to Percy Warner Park to hike about 7 miles (the red and white) with fully loaded packs.  The weather was great (50s) and the group was fun.  We demonstrate tent set up, water filtration, and stove lighting in addition to pack adjustments.  My pack was about 55lbs and it whooped my butt.  I am pretty fit endurance wise, but my legs were hurting.  I am still sore in the hips and calves.  The group did really well.  We will not have any fitness problems.

On Sunday, I helped coordinate a King's Bluff climbing trip.  It was a big group (15 total) filled with all graduate students.  They were pretty good climbers actually.  Most had gym experience.  We had two distinct groups of 5.4/5.5 level and then some more 5.8/5.9 level, but everyone got their money's worth.  I led several more climbs - a 5.4, 5.6, and my FIRST 5.8, "Old Fart".  It was an alright climb.  I did well.  I climbed a 5.9 later that whooped me. It was kind of pumpy and wore me out.  I am not in good climbing shape and I don't like steep, face climbing much.  I prefer cracks and lie-backs and that stuff.  I just need to climb more and challenge myself more.  I am a slower climber and have trouble committing to moves.  I need to do 5.8s and 5.9s over and over, take some falls and learn from it.  I try to minimize hanging on the rope - I feel lousy when I do it.

And on a side note, I had an awesome V-day!  

No comments: