Sunday, April 12, 2009

Maybe I Should Slow Down

Climbing

It was a big weekend, or Saturday at least.  I got out to King's Bluff with a buddy to get some good leading in.  We met at 8am and drove the 1hr out to Clarksville.  I brought my Petzl rope, Spirit draws, and a small trad rack (borrowed).  It was recommended to me that I not try trad at the Bluff due to its lower rock quality and nature of the limestone, so I thought I would just practice playing some pro - I didn't.

Anyway, my friend and I quickly hopped on a 5.7 called "New Purchase."  We both led it without a problem.  We then headed to "The Dogon Meets a Dancer," which was listed as a 5.8+.  My hardest lead to date was a 5.8, also at the Bluff, so this lead was a step up.  It was great!  There were some more powerful sections and a good sustained crux.  In the toughest section, I set my mind to it and quickly powered through.  If it had been a 5.9 or 5.10 on toprope, I probably would have gone slow and stopped and worn myself out, but I knew I have to go right through tough sections if I want to lead and climb harder stuff.  It was fulfilling to lead that.

Next we walked farther down the cliff towards the beach to get to a row of 5.7s.  There, we led two of them - "Pop Off" and another.  We decided we would closeout the day by trying a 5.9 for the first time.  The climb was "L.A.G.," given three stars by the Dixie Cragger's Atlas.  It was not meant to be.  My friend had a rough time from the beginning and couldn't make it past the first bolt.  He took a couple falls in those first few feet.  My attempt was a little better.  I got to the second bolt but could not figure out what to do from there.  This was not a problem with hesitancy either.  I just didn't know where to go.  I tried a couple times, up different paths, without success.  Defeated, I was not going to leave gear, so I got in a position to unclip the second draw and then downclimbed down an easier route before retrieving the first draw.  I was glad that I pushed myself and tried a 5.9.  One day....

The mud at the Bluff was atrocious.  Excited, I wore my brand new La Sportiva Wildcat trail runners.  They accumulated a solid inch of thick, twig carrying mud/clay, much to my dismay.

Run

To continue the break in of the Wildcats, I went on a run with my girlfriend when I got back from climbing.  She is prepping for the Country Music Marathon 4/25 and was planning a 15miler Saturday.  It didn't take me long to realize it was going to be a hard run for me.  I hadn't eaten much and had climbed all morning.  We were both feeling not-so-great after about seven miles.  We stopped at the Harris Teeter to use the restrooms, refill water, and to grab some free samples (me).  We then cut the run short to about ten miles.  Regardless, it was a solid run.

The day culminated with a wonderful picnic in Centennial Park and a jazz concert at Blair (Vandy's music school).

Worn Out

Now I feel sick.  My throat is sore, I'm tired, and sore all over.  Some of it can, no doubt, be attributed to a tough day and an inadequate sleep schedule.  I hope I feel better real soon.

No comments: