Saturday, April 25, 2009

One Awesome Summer

Internship

This summer I will be living and working in Leadville, CO, which at 10,000ft is the highest city in the nation.  I am interning with the prestigious outdoor education company, Outward Bound.  I will likely spend about 80% of working hours doing logistics and support work and 20% leading and teaching.  I am stoked!  I know this will be such an incredible opportunity to enhance both my technical and leadership skills.  

The Leadville base camp outfits extended trips in Alpine Backpacking, Mountaineering, and Rock Climbing, mostly for teens 14-19.  As an intern, I will have the privilege of coleading a 14day trip in one of those disciplines.  I love leading and teaching and really look forward to the opportunity.

Two weekends ago, I went down to the University of Georgia in Athens to get my Wildness First Aid certification (WFA).  The class was really good.  We were taught skills and are authorized to treat cases of anaphylaxis (allerigic reactions) by inject epenephrine, set and splint broken bones and unstable joints, clean and bandage wounds, and care for potential spinal injuries.  While not really in depth medically, the course did a great job teaching me to assess the situation, interview the patient, and evaluate how serious the injury was.  We did a lot of hands-on mock scenarios including make-up and even got to inject (and be injected) with saline solution by another person.  I'm glad I took it and would like to take a Wilderness First Responder in the future for more information and experience.

Running

As you may know, Leadville is a iconic place for trail running.  The small town of 2,000 hosts a series of annual running and mountain biking races including the Leadville 100 Trail Run and the Leadville 100 Mountain Bike Race (in which Lance Armstrong placed second in 2008).  

The OB campus is located right near the trail system on which these races are won, so I will have immediate access to some awesome running.  In fact, a trail supposedly leads directly from the OB base to Mount Massive.  One of the aid stations for the 100 miler is even near the base.  How much luckier can I get?!  

I plan on taking full advantage of the altitude and trail running opportunities.  I have some goals/plans for my running this summer: (1) Run the Silver Rush 50miler, which is part of the series in Leadville; (2) Pace the Leadville 100; (3) Return to Nashville a new man - ready to be WIN or atleast be competitive in some fall races, including the Stump Jump 50k and the Flying Monkey Marathon.

I am trying to get a good base of training going into the summer, so that after a quick acclimatization, I can hit it hard.  I would like to get some real solid weekly mileage in, maybe 40-60mi range and get up to 70mi/wk or so before the 50miler.  An inconsistent schedule could make that tough for long runs, but I should definitely be able to get one (or two) runs in per day.  I already have one long run planned from the suggestion of my boss and a backpacker article.  The 28-mile loop in the Maroon Bells Wilderness goes over four passes above 12,000ft and would be an excellent training run for the 50 and 100 runs.  I have already signed up as a potential pacer for the event.  I will hopefully get into contact with someone via internet or in Leadville who I can pace.  That would be an amazing experience, running through the night with a stranger pushing him/herself to the brink of exhaustion in one of the most beautiful and grand settings in the world.  Two people just might bond a little bit after that.  

Climbing

I am really hoping to improve my climbing and leading skills this summer.  I have already looked into locations around Leadville.  I have found several places about 30mins away that look good.  Not having trad gear will limit my exploration potential, but I'm sure some others will have some.  One place I would really like to check out is Garden of the Gods near Colorado Springs.  The cool sandstone formations there seem really neat.

------

I will certainly update the blog throughout the summer.  I am REALLY excited for the experiences and growth I will have.  The only downside is that the GF will be many miles away in Idaho, so we may not see each other for four months.  I guess I will get good at writing letters and talking on the phone. :)

No comments: