Thursday, September 25, 2008

How Fast is Fast?

My idea of running fast just keeps getting faster.  Back in the day (i.e. high school) I could run a ~20min 5k (the only one I've ever run) and a 9:00 1.5mi (for NJROTC).  When I started this marathon training, though, I figured I cruise long distance at about a 10:00/mi pace.  Over the summer, 3mi at 8:00/mi was my faster run in the week.  

Recently, my LSD runs are getting faster, 9-9:30/mi (even in PWP),  and I've started doing more tempo stuff.  A few weeks ago I started doing 7 or 8mi once or twice a week with a friend at 8-8:15/mi pace.  It was faster than what I was used to but by no means terrible.  Today we headed over to Centennial Park right by campus for some tempo on a 1mi loop.  We warmed up for ~2mi at 8:30 pace or so, then got after it.  He recommended I go at about a 7:30 pace, and I was thinking 85-90% of max HR, so I just got going, keeping him in sight as he ran a 6:00 pace.  

Lap 1 went by in 6:40 at about 86% max HR, so I decided to stay within the 7:00 ball park.  All in all, I did 4mi tempo, all under 7:00 pace.  That is the "fastest" I have run in years.  And it felt good!  I would like to do a 5k or time trial sometime to really push myself to the limit.  

I plan on doing ~15 on trails this weekend in preparation for the Stump Jump 11-mi on Oct 4th.  That'll put me at about 34mi for the week.  I would like to get up into the 40s within the next few weeks in preparation for the marathon.  I also plan on running as much of the course as possible, including a double 11.2.  We'll see what happens.

Climbing
I got my new Black Diamond Momentum harness in and am dying to give it and my new Mythos shoes a go!  Soon . . .

No comments: