Monday, October 6, 2008

I'm Whooped: Stump Jump & More

Yeah, it was a very physical weekend.  Here's the story.

-Stump Jump
A buddy and I headed down Friday afternoon to Chattanooga.  We checked in, pick up our packets and had a great dinner outside of RockCreek.  The food was very good and the loot is just crazy.  I got a very fine Mountain Hardware tech tee, a little TNF bag, some samples, some SmartWool Trail running socks.  In addition to that, a raffle was held for shoes, clothes, packs, and all sorts of other gear.  Two of my friends won some Hammer Gel and a running jacket.  I caught a frisbee!  After dinner, my buddy and I headed out to find a camping location up at the school, which was open for racers.  Not really knowing where to go, we fortunately pitched our tent about 200 yds from the start line.  Unfortunately, I managed a maximum of 5 hrs of sleep.

In the morning, we chowed down on some oatmeal, drank some Gatorade and broke down camp.  The 50k started at 8am, the 11mi at 8:45 so we had some time to wake up, relax, and see some friends start the big run.  I chose the same old gear I've been wearing all summer: some Nike DryFit shorts, poly tee, headband, SmartWool light socks, and Brooks Cascadias.  I also opted for a 20oz handheld bottle full of Gatorade.  

At the start line I lined up near the front and headed off at a moderate pace at the gun.  Almost immediately, a fast lead group formed and I well into the 2nd group on the stretch of road before the double track started.  Once in the woods, I tagged along with some older runners who were discussing previous races.  I wanted to just sit in, watch and learn, while keeping a good pace.  I wanted to see if I could keep a 9:00/mi pace, but it was hard to gauge on the trail w/o markers.  After following for awhile and passing a good number of people, I felt good enough to bomb a downhill and break away from the older guys.  I ran solo for a little bit before coming up to another runner right before the first steep climb.  At that point, I sat in and hiked the steep sections with him.  The trail was narrow preventing passing, and I didn't want to push anything this early on.  Once on flatter section, we ran and started passing the leaders coming back from the halfway turn around.  Going into the aid station/turn around, I figured I was in about 15th place and felt confident and strong.  Since I had the handheld and was feeling good, I quickly downed a cup of water and headed out.  The runner ahead of me decided to stop, so I gained one stop.  I ran the steep sections for awhile before setting my sights on two runners up ahead on a climb.  Being patient, I still walked this steep uphill leading up to an aid station.  They stopped; I didn't, hence two more places.  The next few miles were all solo on mostly flat terrain.  It was here that I kicked it in.  I didn't want to get caught and was eager to catch another runner.  I bombed the downhills and pushed the ups.  The longer I pushed, the closer I wished the road to finish was.  Finally, I spotted a runner, and he looked to be struggling.  It was right at the turn onto the road that I caught him.  Then for a couple hundred feet we chatted.  After realizing he was not in shape to battle, I accelerated the last uphill and flew into the finish.

Final time: 1:49:19 for 9th place

I was and am still stoked to have finished in the top ten (out of 170)!  This was my first trail race, and I LOVED it.  Rock/Creek and the Boonies did an awesome job!  The trail was nice, the event was well run, and the people and environment were super friendly.  I will be back!  

Congrats to my friends Mike and Justin who ran strong races in the 11mi and 50k respectively!

-The Game:
We booked it back to Cashville after the 11mi awards ceremony.  After eating some food, showering, and napping, I headed over to the Vandy v. Auburn football game.  IT WAS AWESOME!  I don't know where all this has come from, but the Dores are on fire this year!  We came from a 13-0 deficit to hold onto a 14-13 lead.  The most impressive things were the hardnosed determination of of defense, which started the game by stopping AU on 4 straight plays inside our own 10, and the stellar play of back up QB Adams.  After the game, the students just hung around soaking it up, and the team came back on the field for an encore celebration.  Not a bad Saturday!

-Climbing:
EARLY Sunday morning I met up with other students and faculty to head over to Foster Falls with the Vandy Outdoor Rec program.  Although a trip coordinator, I was a participant on this one.  Foster is a great area and there were a lot of climbers enjoying the nice day and rock.  I just need to climb more.  I also need to learn to warm up, for both a mental and physical benefit.  I started on this dihedral crack and had a lot of trouble getting the lay back technique down, so right off the bat, my arms and attitude were thrashed.  Fortunately, I succeeded on the neighboring face climb, which gave me good practice edging and using small features.  On down the trail, I did manage to do a good pumpy crack route, so that was good, but again had trouble on another climb.  What really frustrates me is how long I take to climb.  I don't know what happens, but when I get to a hard section, I get slower.  If I have any trouble on it, it just gets worse, and I end up just hanging there and burning myself up.  That happened over and over Sunday.  On one climb, I tried this one section maybe 5 times unsuccessfully, hangdogging between attempts.  THEN, I just crank it out and do it no problem.  What the heck?!  Maybe I need some endurance work or practice on attacking the difficult sections, but most of all, I just need to climb more!  In the meantime, I'm going to try to focus, keep breathing, and learn from my mistakes and frustrations .  

I did get to lead some more.  I did a 5.6 and 5.7 no problem, and also cleaned some routes.  Leading is pretty neat.  I enjoy the feeling of not being restrained by the rope.  For one, I can't lay on it.  My moves are more intentional that way and I think I feel less fear.  So right now I am top-roping 5.9s and leading 5.6/7 sport.  

Despite the frustrations, it was a good day.  We left Vandy about 7:30am and returned about 8:30pm - long day.  I got back, ate, and showered and then attempted to study some environmental chemistry.  Fail.  I could not hold my eyes open.  Even after taking a 20min nap, I still could not hold on, so I curled up and called it a night, despite others hanging out in the room(they had no effect whatsoever).  It was good night sleep!  Unfortunately, I am feeling sick with a runny nose and all.  Hopefully I can get over it quickly.  I will be taking it pretty easy this week.

Goodnight.

No comments: