Monday, October 13, 2008

Shut Down

Lights out.  That's how my 20mile attempt ended on Saturday.  Here's how it went down.

My running partner and I met at 6am to run from VU to Percy Warner Park, around the 6mi loop in PWP, and back for ~20mi.  Neither of us were feeling particularly motivated at the start.  We were both tired, and I figured I would have to be the cheerleader today.  The first 6-7mi to the park went well - nice and slow, through the dark and sunrise.  Towards the end of the run to the park, though, I was feeling impending trouble in the nether regions.  There was a stirring in the intestines going on.  Being a well-bred young man, I chose to hold the gaseous discharges in around me lady friend.  MISTAKE: better out than in!  When we got to the park, I dumped my electrolyte drink in favor of water, hoping it would help.  At that point, she probably could have done the 6mi loop but I suggested the 2mi scenic loop.  Midway, I watered some flowers and let out a couple toots without relief.  The following 2.5mi down Belle Meade Blvd to West End were not fun.  I was getting bad stomach cramps, getting chills, and generally feeling very poorly.  Although I really wanted to stop and walk (and to go drop a deuce in some rich man's mansion), I pushed on, getting my energy from having my friend running next to me.  When we got to West End, though, it was lights out.  I stopped, and headed directly to Kroger.  I let my friend continue on back to campus.  After 10-15mins of being doubled over expelling the demon from within, I went back outside.  My face was pale with sunken eyes - not looking good.  From there, it was long and very introspective 3.5 mile walk back to campus.  During that time I had a very nice, comforting, and convicting confession and dedication chat with the Lord.    I just admitted and reminded myself that I will not be defined by and seek my worth from running, academics, friendships, etc.  I will be a child of God first.  Despite my daily failures in all of those, I will always have His unfailing love and grace.  

It was definitely a learning run.  A reminder of my priorities.  Also, I learned to respect the distance.  20miles is no joke, and I did not treat it as the marathon preparation run it should be.  I will try again in 3 wks.  I plan on putting in some good steady mileage this week.  I will be at Table Rock, Linville Gorge, NC, Sat through Tues climbing with the outdoor rec for fall break.  Should be good.

No comments: