Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Spare Time & Spider Webs

I just got back from a good midweek run - the sorta long run which gets progressively longer throughout my marathon training. Today a friend and I ran 5.79mi at the Withlacoochee State Forest in Brooksville, FL near my family's home. If you are ever in the neighborhood, check it out. The scenery is typical Floridian - oak & pine trees, sandy & leaf covered trails, sunlight & humidity. There are no mountains, elk, or grand views but it makes for a very nice and serene trail run. Google it to find info and maps for the many hiking, biking, and equestrian trails. Check out www.wecefar.com for info about periodic trail races and adventure races held there by West Central FL Adventure Racing Club. One more thing the Withlacoochee Trails have are lots of spider webs. I had the privilege of leading today so I collected enough silk to make a scarf. I'll take the spider webs over the fly bites any day though. Wear glasses and maybe some bugspray.

I am really growing fond of running on the trails. Certainly running in a more natural environment is nice, and the ever changing pace and demanding terrain of trails is a nice release from the monotany of cruising on pavement. Every once in awhile though just cruising mindlessly is fine too. For now I will be an equal opportunity runner and mix up running surfaces. I really look forward to being back in Nashville where I can enjoy more diversity of trees, hills, and cooler weather. It will even be nice to be in Huntsville for 3 weeks in July. I plan on checking out Mante Sano park where the Mt. Mist 50k is held in January by the Huntsville Track Club.

I asked my friend today what he thinks about while running. He said that he finds a happy place. Personally I don't think about much at all. Distance and time and pace and listening to my body play a role, but most of the time I think I am more of a video recorder, just collecting visual data and not paying it much attention. That may explain why I never seem to recognize my surroundings on an out & back course. I've considered listening to music or sermons or news while running; maybe I'll try that, but right now I am not getting bored or lacking motivation so why change. If any one reads this, what goes through your head?

Well, au revoir for now. I will cross the double digit mark Friday, so look for an update.

No comments: