Monday, June 30, 2008

The 6 P's

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance

I learned that in high school NJROTC. Forgive me instructors if I mixed up the order. I bring it up because I have just planned out the next 5 months of running before my first marathon. See, I'm following Hal Higdon's 18 week novice 1 plan. I like it a lot. The only problem is that it's only 18 wks and I started my marathon training w/ about 30 wks to go, so now I am ahead of schedule. Solution: modify and lengthen the plan. Rather than increasing regularly from 15mi/wk to 40mi/wk over 18 weeks, I can spend more time in the 25-35 mi/wk range. The revised plan looks good and I'm confident it will make me stronger, especially as I continue with my distance running and look forward to more marathons and hopefully some ultras. Hopefully, I won't have to mess too much with the plan as I'm moving through the semester, but if I do it's okay because after all, I'm ahead of schedule.

No comments: