Sunday, July 20, 2008

Half Way!

The Marathon: 26.2 miles - a daunting thought to me just a few months ago. I have always known that I could do it once I decided upon it. Each week, as I continue to run regularly, longer and faster, I grow more confident. This morning's run was a landmark one, for I passed the halfway point.

I was at a lake overnight Friday and wakeboarding Saturday morning, so my long run was postponed to Sunday. Also, Saturday afternoon, I had the pleasure of seeing some the kids I've been working with perform a play- It was marvelous.

At 5:50 am I awoke, ate a Quaker Chewy granola bar, drank a cup of V8 V-fusion, laced 'em up and hit the road. My course was the Cottonrow 10k here in Huntsville. I would run two laps plus the ~0.5 mi to the course and back.

The Run
I started with a very conservative pace to warm up and insure that I would finish. I felt good, my heart rate was low (mostly 60-70%). Well, that conservative pace was a little too conservative. I ran the first 5.5 mi in about an hour. I intended on a 10:00 pace and was not hitting it . . . so I sped up. The next 10k I ran in about 60 mins. It felt great! My heart rate increased substantially (up to 75-80%) but I could sustain it. After reaching about mile 12, I just cruised in. What was interesting was that once I slowed down, that's when I felt bad. My legs were sore and tired. I essentially shuffled the last 3/4 mi or so. All in all, it was about 13.4mi in 2:15 for just over a 10:00 pace.

When I got back, I took a cool dip in the pool followed by a hot shower. I considered taking an ice bath, but my legs felt much better, so I passed. I ate a big plate of chicken parm and wheat spaghetti with some gatorade. On a side note, my fueling plan during the run seemed to work well. I drank Gatorade Rain every 20mins and ate another Chewy bar about mile 6. I was neither hungry nor felt drained at any point.

Then it was off to church. Great Success!!

Now I think I'll take a nap.

No comments: