Wednesday, July 30, 2008

No More "Training"

Today's plan was a 7mi tempo run on a 3mi loop. The first loop I ran right on time and felt good. about 1mi into the second loop my heart rate was much too high for my pace. I tried to slow it down, took some walking breaks, ran some more, more walking, speed walking (which didn't lower the bpm). Then I just stopped. I stopped pushing myself and started casually walking the remainder of the loop. I wasn't happy. My running here in Huntsville has been good. I've gotten good time on the trails at Monte Sano, experienced more hills, stayed on track, crossed into the teens on mileage. Lately though, I think its been too much. I've started incorporating some faster running into my training. My long runs have been around 10:00/mi. On my two 3mi runs each week, I try to keep the pace low 8's, and on the mid week 6/7mi run I have tried to be around 9:00/mi (or run on trails which gets the heart rate up).

My thoughts:
- "speed work" too early on
- too much increase in simultaneous distance and intensity
- added stress of running after working construction during the day
- added stress of high 90s temps and humidity

I don't know why I suddenly feel tired, stressed, and a tweak in the knee, but I am realizing one thing. If I don't reign in my competitiveness and training mindset quickly, I am going to burn out. I will only run if I enjoy it. Losing the joy is what has made me drift from cycling this year.

Therefore, no more training. I won't even use the word. My goal is to enjoy running. I want to run and finish my first marathon and then a 50k, enjoying every minute of them. How will I accomplish it? By running. I will keep to my plan, but focus much more on running by feel. I read an awesome online statement by an ultra runner today. Rick Schick writes, "I do not train in a manner that ever makes me dread a training run nor will I enter a race that I would dread doing." Amen, brother! That will be philosophy because I am not running to go fast or necessarily far but for FUN! When I was walking today, I started talking to God, thanking Him for the enjoyment in running and the ability He has given me so far. I won't let one bad day or week get me down. I know sooner or later I will be back in the saddle per se. God is teaches me patience constantly. Unfortunately, patience can only be learned through trial. :)

So this weekend I have an awesome 15mi RUN scheduled. I'll give it a go, have fun, and see what happens.

No comments: