Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Sound of Sizzling Fajitas

You know that sound of the meat and onions and all just sizzling on that cast iron plate they serve you for fajitas. I was the meat and onions today, my sweat dripping off like hot oil onto the pavement. By the end my legs felt like grated cheese floppin around too.

Change of Plans
I went out to Withlacoochee State Forest today to run the 14.8mi loop. It was pretty early - 7:30am - when I arrived. After only 5mins, I stopped, turned around and drove home and decided to run on the pavement trail next to home. I finally got enough spider webs. Within those first few minutes, I hit at least 3 webs IN THE FACE. Think, 15mi, 2.5hrs+, that's over 100 webs!!

It was the hardest run I've done to date. About 15.5 miles, 2.5hrs, in both high heat and humidity. It was mid 80s at 8am. The occasional tree canopy or breeze was divine blessing. My heart rate was 10bpm higher than normal, I assume due to the heat. I dragged on and on with my soaking wet shirt and finally got home. My legs were really feeling it. I dipped in the pool and drank an Ensure shake, then took an ice bath and drank another Ensure, then showered and stretched, then ate a hearty helping of Pizza Huts new "The Natural" healthier whole grain pizza - very good. The run made me glad that I still have a couple months until The Monkey.

Still 3 1/2 months to the marathon and I am going to focus solely on that. That's right, I decided against running the Stump Jump 50k trail race in Chattanooga in October. I am still running the 11mi option. Reason persuaded me. I figure I have much more to lose than gain by ramping up early for SJ. I'd rather play it safe, stick to plan, and try my best at the Monkey. If I can't qualify for Mtn. Mist with my Monkey time, then so be it. After all, I've only been running consistantly for 3 months and am enjoying - Nothin' wrong with that!

No comments: